Pre Father's Day sale and Ground Sausage...
a love story.
|Need to shop with the pre-Father's Day crowd?|
Better bring your A game!
While shopping amoung the pre-Father's Day hoard at Giant Supermarket, searching for some inspiration for dinner, I came upon something I hadn't seen before. Bakery made hamburger rolls! They were firm and just a little crusty. Perfect! I hate those bland, gooey things that pass for hamburger rolls at the supermarket.
Also on sale, big, shiny Red Peppers and sweet onions... an idea begins to form.
I wedged my way into a group of women discussing what Summer Camps they were sending the kiddies to and grabbed a package of Hot Italian Sausage. The bulk kind, not in the casings. The question is, do I want to wade back into the spandex and cut off sweatpants to grab some links, or should I make patties to go on to those good looking rolls? The decision is made, I stick with the bulk sausage. Next, dive over the crabby looking couple who are about to snap up the last pack of ground beef.... done!
Now, do I get in line at the deli counter with the 300 people posting on Facebook from their phones, or do I grab a half dozen nectarines and a half gallon of chocolate milk and head out. Not worth thinking about. The nectarines look delicious and the line at the deli will be shorter on Monday.
1. Back home.
2. Take a nap by the pool... ahhh.. life in Lower Moreland...
3. Slice the peppers and onions.
4. Toss together with a tablespoon of chopped Garlic and a few tablespoons of Olive Oil.
5. Saute in pan until onions are just turning brown and the peppers are a little limp. About 20 minutes. Remove from heat and cover to keep warm.
7. Make your sausage patties.
8. Put your patties on the grill. Brown them over the coals, then move them off heat and close the grill cover to finish. If you leave them over the hot side, they'll flame up.
9. Slice and butter your buns (hehe... I said butter your buns). Then grill them over the hot side of the grill.
While the coals gasp their last breath, toast some Gigantic Marshmallow (also on sale, near the produce department). Put them on some Graham Crackers with a Hershey Bar and have S'mores for dessert. The perfect way to end your day!